Community Rehabilitation and Brain Injury Service (CRABIS)
The West Lothian Community Rehabilitation & Brain Injury Service is funded by health and social work. It provides community based specialist assessment and rehabilitation for people over the age of 16 years who have either a physical disability and / or an acquired brain injury.
What we do
We can work with you to improve your abilities in the following areas:
- Activities of Daily Living (e.g. personal care, household tasks)
- Cognitive (i.e. memory, problem solving)
- Emotional (anxiety, depression, adjustment)
- Social Activity
- Leisure and work
- Community Living (e.g. money management, shopping skills, travel)
The multi-disciplinary team consists of:
- Service manager
- Occupational therapists
- Speech and language therapist
- Clinical psychologists
- Psychology assistant
- Rehabilitation assistants
- Administrative assistant
We can also deal with
- Carer concerns
- Referral to other agencies if appropriate
What we offer
The aim of rehabilitation is to reduce the impact of your difficulties on your lifestyle. This might involve helping you to adjust to what has happened, helping you to learn new skills to overcome difficulties you might be experiencing and helping you to improve your quality of life. This may involve:-
- an initial assessment to clarify your rehabilitation needs.
- more detailed assessments by individual Clinicians.
- a rehabiliation programme tailored to your needs.
- providing you and your family with support, advice, and information relevant to your needs.
- linking you in to more appropriate Services or resources.
- reviewing your programme on a regular basis.
Visits by the team will generally be carried out in your own home but on occasions may take place elsewhere.
Referrals to the Service can be made by a health or social care professional who is involved with you.
You may be eligible for referral to the service if you:
- Are over the age of 16 years
- Have an acquired neurological condition, such as stroke, acquired brain injury, MS, MND, etc
- Need the services of 2 or more therapies i.e. Speech and Language Therapy, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, and Psychology.
- However we will accept referrals for people with an acquired brain injury who need 1 or more therapies.
More information Janet Foggo, Service Manager Tel 01506 774046 Fax 01506 774049, Karen.Brown2@westlothian.gov.uk, CRABIS is based within the Ability Centre Carmondean Centre Rd Livingston EH54 8PT
We strive to provide an excellent service and value your views.If you wish to make any suggestions, comment or are not happy with any aspects of the service, you can contact us in writing or by calling us on the above telephone number