Search site

Care Homes and Sheltered Housing

The council runs a number of residential homes in West Lothian for people who have been assessed as no longer able to manage in their own home. Alternatively, a place may be purchased in a private or voluntary residential home or nursing home. If you need help to pay for long term residential care, you should normally approach your local social work centre to arrange an assessment. People who plan to pay fully for their care can apply direct to nursing homes.

Council run care homes are located in:

  • Livingston (Limecroft Care Home and Craigmair Interim Care Home)
  • Whitburn (Whitdale Care Home)
  • West Calder (Burngrange Care Home)

Please see the 'Related Documents' section on this page for further details on these homes.

A full list of all care homes is available from:

Care Inspectorate
Compass House
11 Riverside Drive
DD1 4NY.
Tel. 01382 207100


Older residents in West Lothian who can no longer manage in their own homes. Community care services are offered after a full assessment by social work staff. These checks look at the person as a whole - not simply whether they fall into the official eligibility criteria or not. Assessments are carried out by staff from local social work centres.

Service Standards

  • We will assess people and agree with them, their families and carers what would be an appropriate residential placement.
  • We will provide written information about the choice of homes.
  • We will provide, either directly or indirectly, places in residential homes which are under the leadership of trained and experienced managers and meet out quality standards.
  • We will offer respite facilities when they are needed and when we have places available.

Please contact your local social work centre for further details - see the contact details on this page.

West Lothian Health & Care Partnership, working with local providers of care home services, has developed a directory of all care homes for older people in West Lothian. It includes information on all the key aspects of a care home service and is detailed in the same way for each entry to allow easy comparison of the services available. The directory provides initial information and acts as a guide for anyone considering or planning a move into care. Download the pdf icon "Care Homes In West Lothian" directory [406kb].

Sheltered Housing

West Lothian Council operate the following sheltered housing complexes:

  • Norvell Lodge, Bathgate  -  consists of 28 one-bedroom accommodations. The development has two twin guest rooms, hairdressing room, assisted bathroom and a large, communal lounge and kitchen used for tenant social and community based events.
  • Rosemount Court, Bathgate  -  consists of 8 one-bedroom and 13 bedsit accommodations, large communal dining and lounge areas for tenant and social events.
  • Jane Place, Bathgate  -  consists of 11 one-bedroom and 2 bedsit accommodations. The development has one twin guest room and assisted shower room (also available to Rosemount Court guests), upstairs lounge and kitchen area for social events, meetings etc.
  • Cunnigar House, Mid Calder  -  consists of 4 one bedroom sheltered housing accommodations within this Housing With Care development. One guest flat available, assisted bathroom, tenant's kitchen and communal area. If required, sheltered housing tenants can buy into an available meal service.
  • Brucefield House, Whitburn  -  consists of 22 one bedroom accommodations, assisted bathroom, tenant's kitchen and communal area. If required, sheltered housing tenants can buy into an available meal service.

Most tenancies have level access, wet floor showers.

Sheltered housing services promote and encourage independence within a tenancy environment.

We will offer advice and assistance to tenants in making the best independent use of their own home.

We will encourage and facilitate tenant participation and develop links with the wider community.

For more information please contact:

The Allocations Team
West Lothian Council
Civic Centre
Howden South Road
EH54 6FF.
Tel. 01506 282754