Improving Services for Children, Young People and Families
West Lothian Council provides a wide range of services offering support and advice to children and young people as well as their parents, carers and families.
These services cover all ages from pre-birth to young adults and all circumstances, including:
- behaviour or relationship challenges
- drug, alcohol or substance misuse
- parenting problems from toddlers to teenagers
- issues at school
- offending or anti-social behaviour
- child protection concerns
If you feel you need support or advice on any matter relating to children or young people, you should initially contact your local Social Work Centre (see details on this page).
Social work emergency out of hours contact number - 01506 281028 or 281029.
Reviewing Officers Team
The Reviewing Officers Team carries out reviews on children and young people who are accommodated away from home (usually with foster carers or in residential units and schools). These reviews take place as per Government regulations at 6-weekly, 3-monthly and 6-monthly intervals after a child is accommodated. The child or young person, their parent(s), the care provider and associated professionals are invited to attend the review. These meetings are minuted and a care plan is agreed. In addition, young people who have been accommodated and have a right to an aftercare service are also reviewed. The Reviewing Officers Team also chair all Initial and Review Child Protection Case Conferences held in West Lothian.
- meet with parents/carers prior to every Child Protection Case Conference to ensure they understand the process and report content
- ensure that parents/carers are facilitated and encouraged to participate during Reviews/Case Conferences
- ensure that actions on Care Plans have been met and seek explanation if this is not the case
- agree modifications of Care Plans
- contribute to quality assurance process by monitoring standards in respect of both the quality and effectiveness of the review/case conference process for children and families
- contribute to quality assurance by monitoring and maintaining standards in respect of both quality and effectiveness of the reviewing service
Further information on the work of the Reviewing Officers can be obtained from the Service Development Officer, Marsha Scott, on 01506 281071 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, contact the Looked After Children Administrator - email@example.com.
Childcare Information Service (CHIS)
West Lothian Council operates the Childcare Information Service which provides information regarding the types of childcare available in the area, e.g. childminders, private nurseries, out of school care, wraparound care, playgroups and parent and toddler groups.
This service can also help if you are considering a career in childminding.
Please contact CHIS on 01506 280044.