Child Disability Service
The council's Children With Disability Team will accept referrals on children/young people who meet the criteria for assessment.
These children and young people will be:
- aged between 0-16 years of age
- who have a significant physical/learning disability or sensory impairment that impacts adversely on their ability to access the usual opportunities available to non-disabled children
- whose degree of disability is such that they may be attending Beatlie School, Donaldson's College, Canaan Lodge/Royal Blind School, Pinewood, Cedarbank, Graysmill or Westerlea Schools
In addition, social workers will assess the needs of the parents and siblings of disabled children. Siblings will be supported by the team whilst the disabled child is an open case. They will be referred to appropriate agencies or practice teams for support if the involvement with the disabled child ceases.
The team will not accept referrals on children/young people who:
- only have a diagnosis of ADHD
- only have emotional or behavioural problems
- have mental health problems
- are affected by the disability, mental health difficulties or substance abuse of parents
- have learning difficulties and attend learning support classes in mainstream school (this does not include those children with significant disabilities who may be integrated into mainstream schools)
Please contact the Team For Children Affected By Disability at Livingston Social Work Centre for further information (contact details on this page).