Funded by the Health Improvement Fund, the multi-agency West Lothian Food and Health Steering group has been implementing a local Food and Health Action Plan since 2001.
This plan is based on the National Food and Health Strategy - 'Eating for Health' and is focused on children and young people and tackling health inequalities. The group works in partnership with a number of organisations to implement programmes to improve the diet of the population of West Lothian.
- The development and implementation of a local breastfeeding strategy
- Healthy weaning programmes
- A breakfast club programme in 24 schools
- A 'get cooking' programme
- Support for the development of a Food Co-op Network to improve access to fruit and vegetables
- Support for the implementation of 'Hungry for Success' in schools
- A small grant scheme for community and voluntary groups and training and resources for staff.